5.16.2006

Adorned Clay Pots

The apostle Paul, patron saint of type-A personalities, stumped me this morning.

Perplexed!

The man who lived a life that brought the gospel to western asia, eastern europe, and beyond; prolific church planter; author of scripture; overseer of the Church; apostle; perplexed! (v 8 NIV)

The Message translates that single word into, "we're not sure what to do." (Check the title link)

How can this be?

This is the man we look to as the model for how to lead the church. As someone who will soon be on the mission field, I am constantly exhorted to look at the life of Paul as an example; Paul had it all figured out, Paul lived an intensely purposeful life, Paul knew what he was doing. Follow Paul!

Perhaps this is the problem?

Paul himself only asked people to follow him in so far that he "followed Christ." (1 Corinthian 11:1)

I must confess. I would not describe myself as perplexed. I have come to believe (in large part) that I have figured it out. I am quite confident in my own understanding of the implications of the gospel. I am quite confident in my perspective on the church. I belive that I know what the Church in America should be doing and isn't, shouldn't be doing and is, as well as what I will be doing when we hit the ground in September.

I am not so arrogant as to think of myself other than a "clay pot," yet perhaps I fancy myself a clay pot with "adornments?" This is a far cry from the place that I once was in my walk.

I wonder what to make of this...

There was a time when I walked with much humility, however, I also carried with me a strong sense of guilt. Would that make my humility a false humilty? I don't know. I do know that when God removed that sense of guilt, speaking words of love and grace to me, my humilty seemed to go with it. Perhaps I do not fully understand myself or God? (That is surely the truth!) I would think that an experience of God's grace would lead to greater humility...


How are we to juxtapose the truths that we have learned, with the truth that we are simply whisps of fog (James 4:14), certainly precious in God's eyes, and yet lacking in even the beginning's of wisdom and knowledge.

I must truly state that I have gained some knowledge and wisdom. Yet I must also recognize that I am childish at best, and evil at worst. Wisdom and knowledge in my head is like a tool in the hand of a child, or diamonds adorning a clay pot...

No comments: