3.10.2009

The Body and Blood

Click on the title link for a 'Jesus Creed' post on the topic...

I have a real interest in this...

As inheritors of protestant tradition we largely ignore communion. However, the church that discipled me went through a process of change on this while I was there that has effected the way that I see communion. By the time I left we were serving communion weekly with the table in the back for whomever wanted, and monthly partaking together as a whole body.

I have come to see communion as a very important, if not central act that defines and shapes the church, and individual Christians.

Is communion a symbolic act, or something more?

What is the significance of communion?

What significance do we take from the Jewish Passover roots to this meal?

How does it speak to us of Christ? ...of community? ...of ourselves? ...of mission?

Who is communion for? ...anyone?

What are we communicated by taking communion? ...should someone understand this before they take it?

Does the community bear a responsibility for restricting some from participating?

3 comments:

Caleb said...

The last question stirred me up a bit. Jesus went out to people like me, sinners, and offered life. Why would we ever even think about denying someone the right to partake in this beautiful act. It was something that I used to laugh at and has now become such a holy time for me. I still can't fathom His love for us!deberui

WTF?! said...

Would you tell people who aren't Christians they should take communion?

How about those who are actively rejecting Christ?

How about those who are actively engaged in sin (ie cheating on their spouse)?

============

At this point I don't know if we would ever single someone out and refuse them communion, but we certainly make sure everyone in the room is aware of the significance of what they are doing.

'If you take this, you are declaring that you embrace Jesus' sacrifice on your behalf, and want to receive from Him everything He wants to give. In taking this you are rejecting all sin, and embracing all holiness.'

Love to hear your thoughts!

PS Paul makes it sound like we should refuse some, but it would be for their sake, protecting them from 'eating and drinking judgment upon themselves.'

Caleb said...

I would say that communion is up to the person partaking in it. It is between the person and God. I fear that it could easily be another thing that we find differences in that we end up letting divide us. It's so far from what God would ever desire for His beloved children.