3.04.2006

What's in a name

...so, the whole "Chi-Chi" thing. (Sorry sis!)

My brother, Dave, is the reigning champion of nicknames. This is no small feat for anyone who has tried to give, create, recieve, or get rid of, a nickname. It requires the right timing and a certain knack for bizarre associations, free-flow, stream-of-consiousness thinking. He actually gave a teammate of ours in college at least a dozen, perhaps two dozen, nicknames; all of them stuck!

So my sisters name is Christina. My brother started calling her Tina chinina, chinina being my grandmother's italian word for small. This of course evolved to "Chi-Chi." At that point my sister refused to answer to her nickname, but when we continued on Chi-Chi=>Chi-Chi-Rodriguez=>C-Rod=>Crawdad=>Pops she finally caved and started answering to Chi-Chi.


Here is my brother holding my son.

1 comment:

David said...

It's all becoming clear my friend. Nicknames and pulp-magazines aside...Be nice to your sister. One day you'll turn around, and she'll be 35 and have her own life. Sisters are cool. Often quite silly, but cool. And I would like to thank you once again for making mine cry.