5.18.2010

The Wyoming Sky

(I just recently came across this, from a college assignment at the University of Wyoming)

I went out and sat on the large pile of rock facing towards the setting sun. Sunsets are beautiful here (we don’t have them like this back home) and this one is no exception. The colors give way to a sense of majesty and distance and magnitude. Although I think I feel a sense of insignificance more from the colors and the beauty than from the realization of the immense size of creation.
Walking around in nature, especially when alone, always brings me to thoughts of God and His divine power. I am always awe-struck by, not only the power evident in creation, but also the beauty of it. I think I know where the term “God’s country” originated. I am constantly reminded of Romans 1:20 “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.”
I move from awe of nature to awe of my own creation, for I am “fearfully and wonderfully made.” My Creator has imbued within me remarkable qualities and abilities. I have been granted a body, which is both a phenomenal work of art and mechanics. I find it completely untenable the proposition that I am merely the culmination of mutations and random radiation. “For You have formed my inward parts; You have covered me in my mother’s womb.”
I begin to think of the foolishness of humanity as we attempt to explain away He who “laid the foundations of the earth” who said “let there be light” and there was! I am reminded of Job 38. Who are we to darken counsel by words without knowledge? Do we dare?
The power within creation answers this question for me (even as it brought it up). The Lord, my Lord, who controls all of creation, is awesome and incomprehensible to me. I will never understand His ways (certainly not this side of Heaven leastwise) but I am filled with wonder at what He has made for me to enjoy.

No comments: