2.16.2007

Created for Such a Time as this?

I work at a small Cafe. In this cafe are 8 of the most unique people I know. This town is full of the most unique people I know. I have never, ever met anybody like the people I have met here in Buffalo. Life is so different here and I often feel somewhat out of place. I am starting to make friends and everything so that is great but life is not the same.
I was at work the other day and I was listening to all these stories about whoring and heroine and I was thinking I have never met people so crazy and so different from myself or the people I know and love in California; I started to question my job and what I am doing there. I am so different from these people. I am nothing like them. But now that I think about it the common thread is our need for Jesus. While I was thinking about it I was thinking that I just don't fit in. They are too "unsaved" they must "bring me down" spiritually, but in thinking that it must bring Christians down in general to hang out with only Christians. Our parallel world just doesn't cut it. We need the lost. Jesus needed the lost. I hung out with someone quite a few weeks ago and they wanted to know if they could take a couple of hits in front of me. All they had was this dried up little joint that someones mom had found and they just wanted to finish it up. I was so wary of it. I told them I didn't know how I felt about it. I said "Just do it and we'll see what happens". So they did it. I had such a fun time with that person. It wasn't even fun because they were high. In fact I couldn't even tell if that dried up joint did anything. Some one told me once that Jesus went to parties where people were having sex right there. I think that sometimes we miss the point. I think that sometimes I miss the point. This is the first time in my Christian life where the only saved friends that I have are the ones that I live with and this is the way that it should be. That was the thing that brought me back to reality about hanging out with people that are too "unsaved". What would Christianity look like today if Jesus only hung out with the righteous? What would Christianity look like if the disciples only hung out with each other? We wouldn't have even know there was a Jesus. Do I fit in at my job? Certainly not and certainly yes? Do I fit in, in this town? Certainly not and certainly yes. I belong at this crazy cafe with these crazy people because I was created for this time.
God give us the revelation of what hell is like so that we might be more fervent in our prayers for others and please let us always have more unsaved friends than friends that know you.

Amen

1 comment:

Sean said...

My supervisor asked me why I moved my family to Santa Cruz. I told him I moved here with a group of people to start a church and the atmosphere got really weird, really fast. He is openly gay and our worlds collided. Later he joked about “his people” liking Madonna and we were able to joke about other things too. I don’t know how it’s all going to pan out with my other co-workers who are equally interesting, but we’re here praying and believing; we’ll see…

Watch out for second hand smoke.