2.26.2006

Wrestling





























I was able to go to the Northern Section Wrestling Championships last night to watch a couple of my old wrestlers compete. I used to coach at a local High School, but felt like it was necessary for me to quit two years ago to focus on my responsibilities as a pastor and new father.

It was an absolute blast! One of the guys, Hashem, won the title; the last champ this school has had was twelve years ago. I was very proud and excited to watch. I also got to watch one of my other guys, Joe, take fourth place. I was just as proud of him.

The thing that I was excited and proud about, however, was not the success. I had been able to spend some time working with Hashem, and he applied what he was taught out in competition. It was exciting to see a young man actually listen to what a coach tells him and see success as a result. I was also very proud of Joe who simply gave it his all. He left the mat with his head low thinking he had "failed." I hope I was able to convey how proud of him I was.

Success is not really all that interesting to me (upon reflection; of course, in the moment I get caught up in success, just like the next guy), it is seeing young men choosing to do the right thing. I was just as proud of a wrestler who would apologize to a referee and opponent for losing his cool as I was to see a wrestler train as hard as he could and finish well.

No comments: