7.06.2009

Atonement


I got a phone call the other day while I was at work; my son Zane had said some nasty things to my wife. She told him he was getting soap in his mouth.

==========================

My kids do this thing that is really frustrating, but also makes me very proud of them; they fight me when I have to punish the other ones. If Zoe is in trouble, Zane will tell me, 'You're mean!' and throw toys at me...

==========================

So my wife is in the middle of preparing Zane for his punishment when Zoe jumps in.

"Mama, I don't want Zane to be sad, so would you put soap in my mouth instead?"


It is at this point that she called me...

What do you do in a situation like this? When your five year old re-enacts this most central act on behalf of her brother? Made me think through some things about what the Father was thinking and feeling, on how Jesus was motivated, on gratitude...

4 comments:

Sean said...

Wow. Siena asks if she can watch her brother get soap in her mouth.

WTF?! said...

hahahah!

...you got Tam and I laughing!

Don't worry though, Zoe just had a holy moment, she likes to put soap in his mouth too...

Jessica said...

Sean and Steve - It's things like this that make me terrified to be a parent...

Sean said...

Jessica, God wants us to reproduce. Be scared.