4.25.2009

Who's gift to whom?

I remember my pastor's wife once saying:

"Your life is God's gift to you, what you do with it is your gift to Him"

I came across this verse the other day:

10 His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his delight in the legs of a man;
11 the LORD delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.


My abilities and skills are not my gift to God, although I often like to think about them in those terms. I say to myself, "Look at what I have done for God..." but I am like a horse who thinks his strength is his own, to offer to God, or not. The reality is that my strength is God's gift to me, and so He isn't very impressed by it; nor is He overwhelmed with joy when I offer Him some of it.

What impresses God is when I trust Him, when I look to Him, when I allow Him to direct my life in such a way that the gifts He has given me are put to work for justice and mercy...

Jesus, help me!

No comments: