4.04.2009

Discipleship

My friend Cory said once that when we are in the midst of temptation we should ask, 'God what are you doing here?'

It has stuck with me...

Now, I have been taught to ask that question always, but had never thought to ask it of temptation! In fact, upon reflection, I have really oriented myself towards asking that question with respect to the outside world. 'God what are you at work in, out there,' but never (or rarely), 'God what are you doing in me?' Perhaps that is the result of a position in leadership? But I am bent towards other peoples lives, generally a good thing, but in this particular instance, a blind spot...

When I am frustrated with my sleepless children, 'God, what are you doing in me?'

When I am annoyed with my wife who won't simply live to serve my needs, 'God, what are you doing in me?'

=============================

So I had a conversation with a group of folks from our Church about suffering...

...and perseverance that leads to character.

And this came together as I read Ephesians 4:22-24 "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

=============================

Why is it so easy to talk about discipleship?

Why am I so blind to the places where I am being called to grow into Christ?

No comments: