7.13.2007

The Audacity of Hope

I just finished Barack Obama's second book. I really enjoyed it. I started in the middle with his chapter entitled "Faith" and was impressed and so I read the whole book. I don't know what I think of his policy ideas (I have been having some interesting personal evolution in the area of politics over the last few years) but I found him to be a remarkably open-minded thinker. He seems to genuinely listen and seek to understand all viewpoints. A rarity in today's politics of soundbites and cosmetically presented politicians.

He admittedly presents himself as an idealist, and even goes so far as to expose some of the weak spots in his idealism. He presents himself as a political reformer (reforming the way of politics itself), but recognizes that he has yet to truly face a real political battle that would test his belief in a 'different way of doing politics.' But I happen to be someone who takes it as a signal of divine approval whenever someone calls me an idealist to my face (albeit in a spiritual context, not a political one)... so I admire the trait in others.

I guess, ultimately, I appreciate the way in which he frames the issues and portrays the various sides of the policy debates. As to what I think of his particular position in those policy debates, I am still pondering.

No comments: