8.30.2006

Spiritual Authority Revisited

I had a few comments and conversations about my previous post on authority (see the title link) that gave me pause and caused me to reflect further on the subject. One comment in particular sparked this current post: "it seems your views on authority have changed over the years." This was in reference to a conversation years ago about the place of discipleship in our lives. I then (and now) took the position that it was beneficial to all Christians to have an authority figure in their lives.* I believe that we benefit from spiritual authority over us, and I believe that submission to authority is an issue of monumental significance in the spiritual well-being of all women and men, especially in today's spiritual-social-political climate. Apparently my previous post, "Spiritual Authority" appeared to have a 'soft' view of the place of authority and my previous comments (in conversation) appeared to have a 'hard' view.

The apparent disparity between this call to submission, and the understanding of authority that I wrote about in the former post, are not a disparity in thought, but rather a disparity in perspective. The former post could be seen as a view of authority from the perspective of one in a position of authority, what I am about to write can be seen as a view of authority from the perspective of one under authority.

Authority From the Other Side: Submission to Authority

What is submission?

I have the idea that there is a fundamental inward bent to all of Christian ethics. Much of the history of morality has emphasized the outward actions of individuals, which leads to all sorts of moral predicaments; questions about the worth of the individual in comparison to the greater good of all, questions about the importance of the motivation behind the action, questions about the conformity to an absolute standard or a mutually agreed upon social standard, ad infinitum; Jesus brilliantly cuts through all of this. The issue for Jesus is never the outward action, but the inner reality. Is the heart turned towards God and others in love? Is the tree fundamentally ‘good?’**

When this same outlook is applied to the conversation on submission we see that there must therefore be a difference between submission and mere obedience. Obedience to a set of rules is very different from a heartfelt pursuit of the internalization of those rules. Obedience to the commands of an individual is a very different thing than coming under that person to serve their needs, to build them up, to learn from them, to desire their ultimate good, in a word, to submit.

What we see is that it is possible to obey an individual without submitting to them, to obey without loving them, to obey without taking responsibility for our own actions, to obey without serving them; obedience can be given with gritted teeth, submission comes only and always from a willing heart.

It is not obedience that we are called to, but rather submission; and this is the greater and more expansive call, it is the call of Christ.

*It is important to note that, by 'authority over us' I do not intend that all people should have a 'pastor' who 'teaches' them. I fail to see this as a real source of authority on a spiritual level, it is rather authority on an intellectual level. When I speak of being 'under' authority, I am speaking primarily of a mentor or spiritual advisor. There must be the relational connection for the authority to be truly functioning on a spiritual level. It is good to have authoritative sources for sound teaching in our lives, however, this fails to amount to the submission that is the call of Christ on all of His followers. Submission to a teaching is much easier than submission to a person. In submitting to another we learn selflessness, in submitting to a teaching it is even possible to reinforce selfishness, as we often gain a sense of self-importance through increased knowledge.

**Of course, we must never make the mistake of believing that actions therefore have no part of Christian life. (Luke 6:43-49) Jesus is unequivocal on this point, our actions will flow out of our heart, and this will reveal the true nature of our hearts. A heart of love for God and others will not be capable of producing evil actions, a ‘good’ tree will produce ‘good’ fruit.

More to come…

1 comment:

David said...

Have you been living in my head?

There is certainly, and always, a 'heart matter' to be negotiated in obedience/submission. As soon as I begin to struggle, I am aware that I have taken note and realize what I should be doing. Then, when I do the things I should do, I get to see how much of my efforts are fueled by some facet of selfish pride.

It is by Grace that I am allowed the pleasure of any fruit. As I reflect on my motivation, my heart, it is always found lacking; if not right in the middle on a low table, its along the floor boards and behind the comfortable old sofa I reluctantly move toward the dumpster.

But submit and obey we do. And the Lord will change our hearts somewhere along our silly check lists if we are simply willing. Even from this place, in my own life, it does not quite ring as true Spiritual Transformation; not until I come to depend on the Lord, and not myself, for the courage to persevere in the changes He has offered me in working His will through me.

Do we obey, and then come to submitted? Or as I used to often hear, “Fake it ‘till you make it.” Whatever the answer, it is ever so much more difficult grow without the help of someone willing and able to speak into your life.

So yes, I am with you on the 'Lordship' issues...you never mentioned this part when we first started chatting. Thanks, it was probably for the best...Be blessed.