6.21.2008

Perpetual Wrestling

There is a deep theological point underneath all this. I believe, as an a priori, that
he church will never get to the point where it has solved all the exegetical
questions, understood all the theology of the New Testament, so that subsequent
generations can sit back and look it up and not have to think for themselves. I have
come to believe that God has so ordered things that each generation will have to
wrestle afresh not just with a few details on the side but with the large questions of
Jesus and the kingdom, of Paul and the faithfulness of God, of John’s view of God
and the world, of Revelation’s vision of the new Jerusalem coming down from
heaven. If the church as a whole is not doing this, it is not growing into the wisdom
it will need for its many-sided mission. And that means that though most church
members will not give themselves professionally to the tasks of scholarship, they
need to be part of a fellowship in which such tasks are being energetically pursued
and the resultant challenges and dialogue given proper space and weight. This means
– and I don’t think either the church or Christian scholars often reflect properly on
this – that the task of biblical scholarship is a necessary part of the church’s life in
every generation. It isn’t just that, as an unfortunate accident, we don’t quite
understand the Bible yet as well as we should, but perhaps another few monographs
and commentaries will do the trick. It is, rather, that each generation needs to
struggle with the big questions as well as the small ones as part of its own healthy
witness and worship.

2 comments:

pedronegro said...

hi steve this is peter from redding I dont know if you remember me but I still read your blog. Isnt the problem that these new generations each decide what truth is. I think questing God is a great thing and it is encouraged because truth is truth. The problem is that my generation has decided that what they decide from all of there questioning is that what they come up with IS truth, which may not be the case. There are some things in scripture that are constants.

I know you know all this it is just what I think of when I read this. Hope that your doing well in Buffalo

WTF?! said...

Hey Peter, of course I remember you!

I started a response and it got long, so it is its own post!