9.28.2006

Schizophrenic Submission

I had another discussion this past week on the topic and yet again ran into the dichotomous view of authority that I have found within my thoughts on the subject. I believe this is healthy...

It is healthy to believe that those under authority should submit whole-heartedly to those authorities.

It is healthy to believe that those in authority should not weild their authority without fear and trembling.

When looking at the topic from the perspective of one under authority, we should take a very hard view of the nature of authority; when looking from the perspective of one in authority, we should take a soft view.

I was reflecting on the way I talk to my boss ...I believe it is right for me to continue to address him as, "Sir;" and I believe it is right for him to insist I call him, "Danny." Just so, I always refer to my pastor as, "Pastor Mike," yet I have never heard him ask anyone to call him by his title. I believe those under authority should emphasize the authority of the one they are submitted to, and the one in authority should emphasize her or his role as a servant.

Oh yeah...

...check out our 'official' Buffalo Vineyard website!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey guys i checked the websites out and i am so excited for you... i hope to one day spend a wednesday night with ya'.